Hello from a very warm Chennai!
My schedule of parkruns has a two week gap in it, due to a work trip to India. With about a week in Bangalore, I met software engineers from BT and one of our subcontract companies Tech Mahindra. This week, I have two days in Chennai with colleagues from TCS - Tata Consultancy Services.
In Bangalore, I used the hotel gym for conditioning sessions before getting a cold and losing my voice! Of the exercises, the plain vanilla sit-ups are the toughest - it's an unforgiving exercise.
Today I went to the beach to try a run. I knew 5km would be a stretch, but hoped I could do it.
However, at 3km, the heat just got to me - it was my legs that went. I learnt a few things from the attempt…
- Use the stretch to and from the beach as part of the run rather than not having this time in the heat count
- Sometimes you really do need a headband to absorb the sweat! There were so many drops I thought it was raining.
- For a cooler run... get up even earlier
The Runkeeper Kilometer 'split' timings tell the story of getting slower…
Kilometer 1: 08:15, Kilometer 2: 11:11, Kilometer 1: 12:05.
So, deep respect to people who do running in extreme conditions, not least Eddie Izzard.
Looking to the coming week, I aim to…
- Get rid of this cold
- Resume conditioning training on Thursday when I get home
- Complete parkrun 3 of 22 on Saturday - my 'local' Ward Park
- Start producing a series of videos around fitness conditioning & health, as well as different angles on blood cancer treatment and research
Thank you for interest, encouragement, donations, stem cell donor signups.
Some nice photos after today's Chennai sunrise are here.